Click for Sun
Back to Board Index

Charging for support
Ian Neitz
United States
11th Jun 2012
13:56:51
I totaly agree you to to make money but i have a question about this

1.)does this mean after 10 players the server will not accept anymore connections? or does it mean u will not provide support?

I do not have paypal nr a credit card so if this happens I will have to move to differant software. So I wish you luck!
Clive Northrop
Saudi Arabia

11th Jun 2012
14:25:14
???!!! :-\
Dave Wave
United Kingdom

11th Jun 2012
14:34:45
Ian posted in wrong forum. I've moved.

This is to do with the fsopen server that I let other groups use. Due to the amount of time I spend supporting other groups and the costs of hosting I have decided it's fair that I start charging for the software.

Not sure how it will work Ian, suspect it will just stop working once the eleventh player joins.
Ian Neitz
United States
11th Jun 2012
14:47:24
So this means i must move on to differant software. ok well thanks for the quick answer =) I wish you luck!
Decio Pedroso
Brazil

12th Jun 2012
13:51:47
Hello Dave:

As a big fan of your work, I agree with the idea of charging the use of FSOpen server. However, keep in mind that we, as server admins have nothing but expenses on maintaining our servers and everytime we talk about sharing costs, users simply disappear. in other words, please make it cheap.
I also would like to suggest thinking about charge the users instead the server software. I mean, final-users could have an account in order to log in servers with more than 10 sessions already opened, but the server software would keep being free. Doing this, you would avoid to generate a new cost for servers admins and you would charging the final user directly.
Ian Neitz
United States
12th Jun 2012
19:18:57
U agree minus charging the players who are joining them seeing as that would just kill users joining ur server... I say just make a version for paid users that have more features and have support the free verison would stay as it is minus free users would not be listed on fsopens site as the paid verison would
Ian Neitz
United States
14th Jun 2012
16:51:49
well glad i no longer need this bot... Im not paying monthly for this sorry david but hope u have good luck with this
Dave Wave
United Kingdom

14th Jun 2012
21:31:51
Thanks for all the feedback everyone, both here, via chat and email.

I think most of you understand that I need to recover my costs for hosting your sessions. I understand some of you are upset by this. Sorry, I've kept it free for as long as I could. At the end of the day I've provided a service that a lot of people have used. It's not free. I paid for it on your behalf!

My motive remains the same:- To provide software for you that makes your multi player sessions better by preventing common problems that crash servers and giving your sessions something the competition doesn't. Better sessions benefit all of us if it encourages players to join and stay within the gamespy environment.

After considering all the options I think I've chosen the option that will benefit our community most.

By licensing the software your users will continue to enjoy pilot assistant, flight strips and integration into your own web sites as well as the continued support from me.

Enjoy and thanks for your support.

Curley Campbell
United States
14th Jun 2012
22:47:03
Standing by to License.
Matt Hoy
Australia

21st Jun 2012
22:38:19
Dave, thanks. I'm hoping also that those dedicated persons like myself support you and pay for the use of your software. I do have a lot of suggestions and questions as well. So I've got your email address and will send one along. From everyone at Melbourne Pro Atc, Aussie Star Hops & Cross Country Nav Australia, we thank you for helping to keep our server & groups online and I personally think its about time people offered you the same ammount of appreciation. Thank you, Matt
Dave Wave
United Kingdom

22nd Jun 2012
11:17:51
Thanks for the feedback Matt. It's only the kids that want something for nothing, the vast majority of groups have been very supportive.
Jean Girouard
Canada
23rd Jun 2012
15:37:45
Hello Dave,
I understand and I'm ready to give a fee for accessing FSOpen but I need a mailing address please...Thanks for time you take for us... merçi!
Dave Wave
United Kingdom

23rd Jun 2012
15:39:33
Hi Jean,

At the bottom of fsopen server it says

"click here to upgrade"

That will take you to the right page.
Matt Hoy
Australia

24th Jun 2012
00:01:35
Dae, just wondering if at some point you may be able to join our server and give me your opinion on the welcome recording? I think I posted a question in another forum and have since upgraded everything but it still crackles... Could that be because I'm connecting via game spy?
Dave Wave
United Kingdom

26th Jun 2012
11:31:19
Matt, couldn't find your server.

The welcome message only works well with a really fast server like an i7. You might be better making a recording and playing it back in a continuous loop on 118.75.

Jarno van Werkhoven
Netherlands

24th Dec 2013
22:00:48
Software works even at 26 players, had it yesterday :)
but the autokicks etc. stop working above 10 people logged in.

Keep up the good work!
Jarno van Werkhoven
Netherlands

24th Dec 2013
22:02:42
Asking a small fee is very normal

You need to Log on to post a reply.
Back to Board Index

Forum help

No politics, just flying
FSopen © 2009 - 2017
Page views: 205510239