Click for Sun
Back to Board Index

List ratings accurate?
Kenneth Brander
Norway

29th Jan 2013
13:32:25
Hey everyone,

We have noted several servers that gain position on the ranking-list in what we consider somewhat mysterious ways and are now quite sure it`s actually possible to trick the ranking system. Several of us has noted that communities and servers with -no- regular users, no users even dropping by their server, servers that are empty and still they climb the list to be amongst the top ten. We are pretty sure this was not the way the system was intended to work and perhaps there is reason to look into another way to rank the servers as it is obvious that the system can be tricked none the less. The solution today has the weakness of servers being able to spam the URL to non-fsx users like our facebook friends, skype and social networks which is quite obvious these guys do if the system works as we have interpreted.

Does anyone else have the same opinion and experience? We don't mind having -great- servers next to us as alternatives and options for the users, but it would be brilliant to have -only- the onces that really deserve to be on top list, where this is actually people and activity, not just status-hungry server-owners. Our suggestions is to take the numbers of server traffic if able and combine that with the traffic from the websites as practiced today to get far better feedback to work with and thereby a correct listing regarding rank so it will be fair and the best for the users which this is really all about.

P.S:

We think it is wise to point out somewhere on your site, quite visible please, that European users are best of using European servers and those over in U.S. is best of using American-based servers, this has to do with packets and very few seem to understand this and how packets actually work. There is no system currently showing ping|packets which there is probably a good reason for all that i know.

Thanks for listening! c",

Regards;

Kenneth Brander
Joe Clifford
United Kingdom

29th Jan 2013
13:48:26
Hello Kenneth,

We (at fsxmultiplay) couldn't agree with you more! We was at one point always towards the top of the list. For the past few weeks it seems that we are now all the way down towards the bottom of the list of "loving hosts".

Having the list ordered in the way that it is just doesn't make sense to us. Dave, You mention that you suggest going with the better servers, usually at the top. This however isn't the case.. Surly the better ones are those, as Kenneth mentioned, that have the largest amount of traffic.

Some of the sessions I've seen have no pilots or ATC's in them all day long. Yet they are practically permanently at the top.

I believe Steff brought up the issue of us disappearing down towards the bottom of the list and you mentioned it had been fixed. It may well have been, but us humans are naturally lazy and don't want to scroll through a long lost of sessions to find one. We are just going to have a look at the top few and click those links first. Hence they will get the most clicked links and end up at the top again.

Regards
Joe
Dave Wave
United Kingdom

29th Jan 2013
14:10:55
The idea is to encourage users to advertise fsopen, by whatever means. I keep a close eye on it and the 2 sites who where abusing it were knocked down the rankings. The sites that generate "Genuine" traffic to fsopen are benefiting you and deserve to be listed higher regardless of how many people are in their session.

I do not recommend better servers at the top, I state that they advertise fsopen and deserve to be used first. If you abuse this then expect to be listed low down.

If you feel a desire to snitch on someone send me a private email.
Dave Wave
United Kingdom

29th Jan 2013
14:14:50
Ping tests were made from each client to every server listed in gamespy and cannot be replicated using an internet page. Back when fsx was developed not everyone had broadband and latency was far higher then it is now. I've been in the Australian server with no problems!
Kenneth Brander
Norway

29th Jan 2013
14:44:18
I don't mind snitching here, we have one server that we have followed closely as i have contacted you about previously, the server is still climbing, still no users, still no regulars, the fellow behind it is not even on the server himself. We know for a fact this guy spams skype and facebook friends that are non-fsx users. The server has had many names the last two months, 'FSXNorway Community', 'FS Norway Community', Hop 'Server Win Prices' and now the last name is 'Destination Europe', i hoped you would keep a eye on this fellow when we notified you about him the last time, but he`s still rising without -any- traffic or regular users and obvious support. How come that`s server is up with us on the top when Italiani Volanti, fsxmultiplay and others which has loads of users compared to this server are at the bottom. This is why i made the thread at all, it`s not fair, we naturally want to be seen and i can confirm it`s a point being at the top because we have more randoms dropping by then most it seems.
Kenneth Brander
Norway

29th Jan 2013
14:44:26
Yes, we have Australian regulars and American regulars, still feel there is a important thing to enlighten people about since there still is bottlenecks between the server and user that will vary from day to day as we have experienced with exactly the Americans and Australians. We love it when they drop by so don't get me wrong if something i wish we could support the whole world on òne server! c",
Curley Campbell
United States
29th Jan 2013
15:43:03
If I can add another perspective to this topic. 1st.. it does not matter if my server "FSX Carrier Ops".. is at the top or bottom of the list. Being a 24/7 military only session (about 2% of FSX users, at most) I will always have less traffic then all the "virtual airline" sessions.

What I am pointing out.. here.. being penalized.. because my session has less "currently active user" traffic in the session... or sitting idle... would seem unfair to me.

The reason I am higher than others on the list.. is that a lot of people DO visit my website and may or may not "click" on the link to the FSOpen Session list. (I have no way to tell.)

Besides the fact that FSOPEN's software is a very important piece of my overall server strategy... FSOpen's dedicated sessions IS the best (and less intrusive) list available out there. In appreciation of that fact...it IS listed at the TOP of my Home Page... just below my session connection info. I have NO problem with essentially "advertizing" this list.... EVEN IF... these people may find other sessions and decide to fly in ... rather than mine.
Dave Wave
United Kingdom

29th Jan 2013
15:44:25
Kenneth, I am fine with how the site is running. I see a lot more then you do. Trust me :)

Geoff Server
United Kingdom

1st Feb 2013
18:34:26
Hi Dave,
Have just read the above post very interesting.
May I suggest the following as a way of impoving the experience of users looking at the FSopen session list.

1/ As the pro sessions have paid for the software they should be listed first in the list regardless of advertising clicks etc... only seems fare. This list could be listed as you have the list sorted at this time by click throughts.... I assume?

2/ Allow a user of the list to click and sort the list as an example by:
Maximum number of pilots on-line in any session max to min at bottom of list.
Maximum number of ATC on-line in that session simular to above.

You could further enhance the list so a user could select voice type, Language, weather type and so on.

The user interface for anyone looking at the FSopen session list is very poor just a scrolling list. Not very user friendly at all.

A man of your tallent should be able to make the list very easy for any new use to find what they are looking for just by a couple of clicks..

Geoff S

Dave Wave
United Kingdom

2nd Feb 2013
10:21:00
Geoff,

1. Disagree, I am trying to be very fare while maximising our reach.

2. Agree, quite a bit of work but will happen at some point.
Kenneth Brander
Norway

2nd Feb 2013
13:50:56
I would use that talent personally to make this one of a kind, which is already in many ways are, but there are some new alternatives and old that now are more usable for some. I would love to see the community still grow, but i believe in progress and we have had to adapt a bit all of us lately. I'm gonna suggest a idea really out of the box, we struggle a bit with getting our users to pick up and use pilotassistant because it offer little to the one flying outside UK if you do not pay for the option for openclouds. If the servers where charged with this fee of having it free for it`s users, that is one more icing on the cake that could not hurt right now concerning promotion as i also understand that promotion and getting seen on the Internet is very important to FSopen also. It should be optional for the server to pay for it or not and it should be fare price since as the openclouds really have, this will help the promotion a great deal in my opinion and less hassle for the users having to pay for it beside. It would in my opinion also make it easier for us and users to promote the pilotassistant, openclouds and the servers thereby the community and your work. Yes that probably pretty radical thinking, as yes i do not know how your system work entirely, it`s probably gonna be some more work for you sir. But I'm still certain in my opinion, if any, you could make it work if you just get your head around it and see the potential and the options that follows with it, like why not list servers in the assistant in the future, your favorites, making the software even more valuable. Just a some ideas really, not a demand, someone else wanna share their thoughts on that? c",
Dave Wave
United Kingdom

2nd Feb 2013
14:46:27
Keneth, there's a lot of stuff I could do but at the end of the day, time is money as they say.

I do have a good idea for a promotion coming up soon though. Watch this space.
David Altman
United States

8th Feb 2013
11:07:12
Im happy to have a place to host a session that is well designed, easy to use, and overall unrestricted. I'll happy to be at the bottom of the list.
David Bartlam
United Kingdom

8th Apr 2013
23:46:44
Is it just the scripts that determine a servers position on your list?

You need to Log on to post a reply.
Back to Board Index

Forum help

No politics, just flying
FSopen © 2009 - 2017
Page views: 288069912