Click for Sun
Back to Board Index

Sliding down the list
David Bartlam
United Kingdom

8th Apr 2013
18:42:47
So, you go onto our site at www.fsx-atc.com and you see links and links directing traffic to the FSOpen Website. Our TeamSpeak also routes people to the website yet still we are sliding further down that list as the days pass? After looking at various websites, we are advertising more than the majority of sites out there. All the links have our Host ID... What's the deal with this?
David Bartlam
United Kingdom

8th Apr 2013
19:01:46
That sounds like a bit of a moan... It isn't. I just need to understand the way in which the session list is populated and how we go about improving our position. I'm not the server host on our side so I'm not very knowledgeable about the whole thing, which is why I need to understand. I remember a thread just like this coming up a few months ago with the same issue :\
Dave Wave
United Kingdom

9th Apr 2013
09:12:09
To answer your various posts and emails in one place on this issue.

1. The ranking is aimed at how many new players you attract to the fsopen session page. If you are just relying on links on your own web site, and your visitors are already aware of fsopen then they're unlikely to use the link.

2. To boost your rank you need to target new fsx players. Use your link in:
You tube videos.
Facebook.
Twitter.
Other forums (signature)
In all of the above you're best targeting aviation/fsx users by making the content appropriate.

3. A number of people have created separate websites to attract fsx users and then advertise fsopen with their link. This can create a lot of interest.

If all that sounds like a lot of work it is, but that is what others are doing to attract people to fsopen and can then end up in your session. They get/deserve a high ranking for making new users aware of fsopen sessions.

4. Play fair. Bad links are ignored.
David Bartlam
United Kingdom

9th Apr 2013
09:22:59
Thank you. As I said, I'm not the server host, I just update the website and Teamspeak so I was completely unaware of how this works. So aslong as the link we advertise has our host ID on it, we gain places if the new users (Im guessing this is done via IP address) use it.

Much clearer now thank you. Our homepage is quite cluttered at the moment with advertising so it just means I need to focus elsewhere. My only slight concern is advertising fsopen, people go there... See the session list but join the higher servers on that list... So I now need to think of a way to incorporate both our websites into one link.... This certainly wasn't a moan, just a way of understanding them process.

As a beginner with HTML and coding, is it possible to incorporate a photo with a link to my page which also adds a pop up to your site? That way, my advertising, instead of just routing to our site from public forums, YouTube etc, they automatically get routed to both?
Dave Wave
United Kingdom

9th Apr 2013
09:41:58
If you load your link in a popup or an iframe etc You'll find yourself at the bottom of the list very quickly!

The idea is to encourage people to follow a link to fsopen. Not to force them there.
David Bartlam
United Kingdom

9th Apr 2013
10:10:45
That makes sense.

You need to Log on to post a reply.
Back to Board Index

Forum help

No politics, just flying
FSopen © 2009 - 2017
Page views: 1347036471