Click for Sun
Back to Board Index

Spam Protection
Kenneth Brander
Norway

8th Apr 2013
22:33:24
Hey Dave,

We have great problems with spammers in the server and hoping that you are able to perhaps figure out a solution to this, is it possible to make kick/ban to trigger by users pasting URLS or certain URLS in the fsx chatbox? I have no idea about the technical problems you face to make it happen or not, please explain, if we can help with anything please give us a shout and we will do what we can.

It`s not really because of their message and what they are spamming, because most of our users don't bite on these lowest of low attempts, trying to get users to their server and community. But rather that they keep filling up the chat-box making the chat-box and the system in it useless and hard to work with, i will post a picture here to show you a actual example from the most common users dropping by and spamming us, fsx-atc.com
David Bartlam
United Kingdom

8th Apr 2013
22:57:08
I'd like to apologise on behalf of FSX-ATC.com for this obvious attempt at poaching members. I can assure you this has absolutely nothing to do with the administration team and that we were not aware of this happening until reading this thread.
I personally condone such attempts by our members to instigate ways in which to promote our server. It is a desperate attempt to get traffic and one that I do not agree with nor approve.
The individual in question has been spoken to and warned, he has agreed it was a stupid thing to do and has ensured me that it will not happen again.

We do not appreciate our members spamming other sessions and certainly do not appreciate the negative attention on our server. Please accept my apology. I will do everything I can to stop this from happening.

This now makes sense as to why I had an individual join our server this evening by the name of "hahaha" spamming the chat box with the word "Arseholessssss" Petty behaviour from both communities and one in which needs to stop now. If this happens again, please contact our server directly and we will ensure that the members are not only banned from our servers but we will also email Dave with the recommendation to ban their FSOpen account.
Paul Gallagher
United Kingdom

8th Apr 2013
23:18:52
well im the real paul gallgher and my user name int even paulg it paulb223n so some ones playing funny bugers bt thans all the same kennith as just come point the figer at you next time we have our server spambu you
Robert Dunn
United States
9th Apr 2013
00:01:52
We respect and admire the integrity of your community, Mr. Bartlam. Your response here reaffirms our high opinion of your group and it's good works. Mr. Gallagher, it seems obvious on the face of the circumstances presented that your name was spoofed and that, quite possibly, this was an intentional attempt to besmirch the good name of FSX-ATC by a totally unassociated entity. Why would any community or member post such spam intentionally, identifying itself and knowing the attempt would be referred to in places such as Dave's forum? However, Mr. Gallagher, my display of your words seems somehow garbled and I can't make sense of your wording.

Dave Wave, any assistance you may provide to OP Mr. Brander will be noted by our community. We do not, however, have the Briefing Room Chat spamming problem Mr. Brander has experienced. As we do disable in-game voice completely and rely on TeamSpeak3 for voice and text communication, those who choose to fly our public host but choose not to log on to our TeamSpeak do use Briefing Room Chat extensively. It is for this reason that our community continues to wait patiently for any decision you may come to regarding the increasing of the FSOpen bot text injection time limit above it's current 5 minute frequency maximum setting. We will continue to subscribe to the paid version of your service because of all of its other useful tools and good works.

Respects, Bob...
RSDunn2@msflights.net
David Bartlam
United Kingdom

9th Apr 2013
00:17:33
It's a bit of a kick in the teeth for me to see this sort of thing. The constant updating of our website, daily events, training and so-forth hopefully make it very clear that we are a hard working server trying to do our utmost to provide the virtual aviation enthusiast visiting our server the best service that we can. With this constant work and by my rather dubious post earlier today in regards to session listing positions, something like this completely throws all of my hard work and good intentions into disrepute.
As you can tell, Mr Gallagher isn't the most literate of people you will find on a forum, yet the spamming seems to have been done by someone different, with the exception of commas, it's rather good English (No Offence to Mr G).

It's a horrible situation to be in, I have apologised publicly and sent Mr Brander an email stating this had nothing to do with us at the site. Could it be someone on their side? Maybe, the "hahaha" character we had in this evening with his profanities did appear somewhat odd to me. I have no proof and therefore can not point any fingers, it's just unfortunate that the FSX-ATC.com name could have come into disrepute due to one individuals immaturity.

I will agree with Mr Brander though, the servers need more protection from Spamming. I've not seen it as bad as that photograph, but I am aware it happens.

Regards
Dave Wave
United Kingdom

9th Apr 2013
08:48:43
Nice to see you guys working together on this. There's always been a few idiots out there who like to wind up people. I wish they would realise that doing so harms the multi-player community in total, not just their intended targets.

I'm thinking of giving you the ability to add keywords/phrases to a list. Should anyone then enter that into chat then they would be kicked.
David Bartlam
United Kingdom

9th Apr 2013
09:04:54
Good idea Dave, that would work, especially considering the majority of platforms now use Teamspeak
Joe Clifford
United Kingdom

9th Apr 2013
16:45:30
Hello,

Dave, an idea. Is there anyway you could create an email address alias called for example - sessions@fsopen.co.uk

This, if emailed, would forward the email to ever server paying for FSOpen Server software. Similar to how we used to have a managers@fsopen.co.uk email. When emailed it would forward to each of us individually?

Each forum could email you am email address they would like to use, you add it to the alias and then, if anything like this was to happen again. Or we experience a joining player that is only there to muck about, we email this address and it informs everyone else of the trouble maker and to keep an eye out.

Yes we all would prefer it if our own servers were one with the most numbers but that's never going to happen so we have to ensure that we are all there to help each other out where we can.

Just a suggestion. Don't know what anyone else thinks

Regards

Joe

You need to Log on to post a reply.
Back to Board Index

Forum help

No politics, just flying
FSopen © 2009 - 2017
Page views: 1274752381