Click for Sun
Back to Board Index

fsx-atc event night tonight
David Bartlam
United Kingdom

11th Apr 2013
11:45:56
http://fsx-atc.com/events/event-night-11413-innsbruck/

Tonight we have an event being held at Innsbruck. We will put the controllers in the tower, you come down and fly with us, it's that simple.

If we start getting busy, we will open another tower nearby so you can do a few transits.

All our communications are through TeamSpeak, visit our site for details.
Zack Iddo
United Kingdom

12th Apr 2013
00:26:28
Didn't realise this was a forum for advertising. But wrong again I suppose.
David Bartlam
United Kingdom

12th Apr 2013
10:37:17
I can't see any rules or posts stating that you can't advertise an event being hosted from a dedicated community using an FSOpen server..
I got the idea from this guy: http://www.fsopen.co.uk/forum/posts/listposts.php?threadid=2970]

If there is an issue with advertising an event, I'm sure Dave would say, and then, I'll refrain from doing it again in the future :-)
Dave Wave
United Kingdom

12th Apr 2013
11:18:54
There are no rules, I guess in the old days, when fsopen hosted our own sessions it was an unwritten rule!

However, I'm concerned if I say go for it this forum will become full of my "Join my session, its the best" etc, etc and we'll loose sight of the more useful content to new users.

Maybe we need a new forum just to post info on sessions. Is What's everyone's view on this?

David Bartlam
United Kingdom

12th Apr 2013
11:22:51
I think that would be good Dave. I did have a good nose around before posting this to ensure it was Okay

I'd never tell anyone to join us or state that ours is the best etc. A forum with events listed would just aid a player to find a session he would like to join, maybe not for a prolonged period of time, but he may like a particular event.
Joe Clifford
United Kingdom

12th Apr 2013
11:36:44
I think that the idea of being able to have the ability to post details about events happening in servers is a good idea. Not as a way of 'stealing' members but there are many people out there that jump from one to the other just looking for events. It's these people we want to inform about happenings in each server.

I don't however think that this forum as it stands is the one to put it on. It's supposed to be for FSOpen Software related issues. The post you mention David was by an original FSOpen Member who had stepped away for a while. He rejoined us via email communications and was unaware that we had a new website. Hence he done what we alway used to do. Post it on the forum. Since that time, all forum post regarding ATC have been placed on our own forum. Including that post as it was noticed immediately.

A new forum titled 'Events' would be a nice feature I think. Maybe however you lock them so that no comments from anyone other than the other can be made. As to prevent unnecessary bumping. Maybe even removing themselves afterwards.

Regards

Joe

(I'm on my phone so could be some mistake I apologise in advance)
Robert Dunn
United States
14th Apr 2013
11:10:21
Speaking for myself personally, I would endorse some "Events" thread here under the auspices and complete control of the FSOpen management. I would hope that such a controlled Events thread would in no way detract from the intended purpose of FSOpen's ad banner clicking philosophy of steering FSX multiplayer-seeking pilots through the FSOpen/sessions page. We currently have three regularly scheduled flights over the weekend and several more themed flights during the week. Currently the scheduling and details of our group flights are only available on our website, front page. While we wouldn't presume to notify of these group flights in this thread or on this technically specific forum, I would propose to our members a dispatch to publish them on a specifically created forum or thread here at FSOpen.

Having said that, may I notify of one such scheduled event of which we are very enthusiastic. We have a Cross Community Flight scheduled for Saturday, April 27th at 22:00 UTC (3:00PM EDT). We expect to meet and fly with members of EasternHops, FSXMultiplay and hopefully other FSX communities and developers. Our own efforts are being spearheaded by Jake "WarHawK" and details and a further inter-community invite are available on our website. I hope but I do not know that notification of this April 27th cross-community flight is available on the websites of our brother participating FSX multi communities also. Please consider joining in with all of us under the banner of your own FSX multiplayer community. The implied purpose of this flight is to further inter-community contact and cooperation.

May I solicit your comments on this inter-community flight?
Robert Dunn
United States
14th Apr 2013
11:25:53
Additionally, may I propose that if FSOpen chooses not to host such an FSX multiplayer event notification forum, that we major independents, as I call us, come together to discuss forming some other event announcing platform?

Respects, Bob...
RSDunn2@msflights.net
David Bartlam
United Kingdom

15th Apr 2013
16:35:13
I like the idea of an events thread. A place where all the information is in one spot. It would save a user going from server to server, website to website looking for a particular sort of flying event in which he'd like to be part of. The events we host are certainly not for everyone, the combination of VFR, IFR, Helicopters and ATC nights ensure we have a good crowd each evening BUT, they are not for everyone. I often see pilots from other communities visit us on our IFR and ATC nights, but not on our VFR/Helo's. It all depends on what they want to do. The important thing is that the community they are "regulars" of, do not give them hassle or treat them differently just because they fly somewhere else, which is something I've heard happen recently.

I personally like the idea of a cross community flight, but it does leave me a little concerned. A whole evenings traffic on one server, unless well controlled will be chaos. You're talking well over 100 pilots. Although a great idea, I'd like to think there will be a good procedure in place to deal with anyone joining with other intentions then enjoying the session. Then that leaves you with all traffic aimed at one community, this will, I'm sure enhance the amount of members that server will gain. What I do hope is that the smaller servers that are struggling to get numbers in on a regular basis are not left isolated or indeed empty because a user has seen a high number in one session on the session list.

You need to Log on to post a reply.
Back to Board Index

Forum help

No politics, just flying
FSopen © 2009 - 2017
Page views: 388958118