Click for Sun
Back to Board Index

Gliders
David Bartlam
United Kingdom

26th Jul 2013
23:16:05
Dave, Is it possible to allow us to choose whether or not we accept gliders onto the server.

I've just started taking up gliding prior to starting my PPL at the end of the summer and I have a few friends who are Glider pilots. It would be good to host the events on my server for those of us interested in Gliding
Dave Wave
United Kingdom

27th Jul 2013
08:38:49
Gliders can request towplanes. Towplanes never disappear in multiplayer. Their positioning data is sent to every client, eventually overwhelming the server. It is the easiest way to crash a session.

So no!

Joe Clifford
United Kingdom

27th Jul 2013
11:56:02
Dave,

Yes, by default Tow Plane never disappear in a multiplayer session however that doesn't mean that they can not be removed.

SIMCONNECT has a function specially for removing 'AIObjects' from a users game. When called, it will remove whatever AI Aircraft you specify. All Tow Planes come in with the same Callsign. All you have to do is search for that callsign and call the function.

Yes, by the time that the function is called the AI will already have been sent out to all the players but the server machine is no longer having to process this AI aircrafts data and send it out. No extra strain. No real problem.

The AI ghost will still be visible to every client that was in the server when this AI was injected but you could also build this into Pilot Assistant either on a timer or just on a button 'Remove AI' or even just Tow Plane by filtering for a specific Callsign.

I've just done it and it works.

If people don't want gliders in the session then they can do what we have to do for F16's, Extras and Trikes. Tick a box.

I understand that constant updating isn't what you want to do but FSOpen.co.uk is the only real solution to GameSpy. There are a number of groups out there that are Glider Groups. Because they cant use FSOpen server software in their session their session is vulnerable to people coming in and ruining it for them by flying around in aircraft other than gliders. Because they cant use your software, the cant advertise on the website. Less people know about they session and slowly it dies and we find ourselves with people out there that want a glider group with the same access to a secure server as everyone else has but they cant get it. That's not fair. FSX Was clearly made with gliders in mind otherwise they wouldn't have spend so long including the Thermal dynamics and even a range of gliders and an accessible Tow Plane.

Glider events can be a good laugh. Especially when people don't understand thermals and generation of lift, you find people frequency crashing into mountains.

Regards,

Joe
David Bartlam
United Kingdom

27th Jul 2013
12:10:10
If we can find a way of putting this into an update, I'd really appreciate it. Alot of people will step into gliders before stepping into a plane in reality, and as I promote my server as a Training and Learning server, it would be good to have gliders involved. There are some extremely talented real world glider pilots at FSXWorldwide and there expertise and experience is being wasted on FSOpen. I have real world pilots and controllers on my server that are fantastic at what they do, and the best part of it is that they are more than happy to pass on there knowledge and wisdom.

With programmes such as Active Sky, members can fully immerse themselves into FSX like never before. They can actually fly gliders and with the amazing effects you with this programme, it's as close to the real thing as you can get.

As a software developer, I feel it's important to listen to the guys that use your software and also pay for the privilege. There's a lot of people that make requests for changes which never seem to come :| It surely can't be that hard to develop something which could remove the AI traffic, FSUIPC does this, so does Simconnect... Please at least try? I feel it's important for those looking for a simulated training server before and during their real world training. Which is the exact thing I use FSX/FSOpen for.

Regards
Dave Wave
United Kingdom

27th Jul 2013
13:38:06
I thought it was impossible to remove gliders with simmconect. I'm sure if it was possible I would have done it by now. However, when I wrote fsopen server it wasn't with gliders in mind, so I will revisit.

Dave Wave
United Kingdom

27th Jul 2013
13:42:05
Joe, I think if the tow plane is created by another player in a session than you cannot delete it on the server. Please test.
Curley Campbell
United States
27th Jul 2013
15:15:40
This is an old issuen which some folks thought was funny to disrupt a server. Gliders and HeliTraffic will both produce the same result. If a player injects either.... the objects will NOT remove from the server.. even after the player leaves the session. You will need to reset the server to clear.

Thus thankfully, Dave gave us an option to not, at least, allow gliders. Not too many people use the other now days. I can remember a few years ago when I had 9 carriers (subs for a chopper I did not have) flying around like choppers. It can be a real pain.. when people do so.
Joe Clifford
United Kingdom

27th Jul 2013
15:31:37
Dave,

Sort of a compramise. SIMConnect (the bi**h that it is) as you mentioned, will not remove a plane unless the person that injected it sends the command.

FSUIPC however, has an ofset that will do the job. All that is required is the aircraft ID. The aircraft is removed from the server machine, meaning that any new players joining will not have the aircraft injected into their session and it will not slow the server down.

Players already in the session will still have the AI aircraft however it will either remain stationary or continue in a straight line only effected by the weather in the session (form what I can tell). The same command would have to be sent from each client in order to remove it on their screen.

I understand that you may not wish to dive into FSUIPC, although I find it to be far more powerful that SIMConnect and BeatlesSimConnect (even though they run off the same back end its far easier to pull what you want!). All that I ask, personally, is for you not to 'force' gliders to be blocked. Allow the administators of the server to select weather they want to allow them or not.

If they are concerned about slowing their server down then they can install fsuipc and set it to not allow aircraft in with specific callsigns.

On a side note. The tow plane is a Maule Orion. If gliders where allowed however MauleOrions blocked would that prevent them coming in or is it becuase they are not attached directly to a player that it can not be removed?

Regards

Joe
David Bartlam
United Kingdom

27th Jul 2013
17:50:36
Its certainly an interesting topic and one that if we could resolve something, it would be fab. The only thing I canhink of is for me to create an airport about 8000ft in the air with no runway. I could then send that scenery to the guys on my server that want to use gliders. When they start the game, they would simply start in the air and fall until forward speed has been gained. To be honest, I dont think the AI traffic would matter too much to the serious people, I could always get thwm to start in a tug on the other side of the worls to where we want to glide, be towed up to a few thousand feet and then use plan G or similar to switch our location to where we want to glide, thus leaving the tow planes in somewhere that noone would fly, say the noth pole or something.

Its certainly an interesting thought. For me personally, i reset my server vefore and after every event so the tugs would disappear
Clive Baines
United Kingdom
6th Aug 2013
06:08:15
Hi there Dave Bartlam, I have just tried A Glider flight in one of the sessions,and it works Great as long as you don't call for a tow plane,just go to your map and select your height then away you go,I miss having a flight in a Glider,I would like to say Many thanks for Dave Wave for sorting this out,I will keep my eye open for GLIDER SESSIONS ,Best Wishes, Clive, UK57C
David Bartlam
United Kingdom

6th Aug 2013
10:25:13
Clive,

Glad that it worked for you! I'm happy that we managed to push and get this capability on the sessions.

If you enjoy gliding, I will be hosting a session each week within the server dedicated for gliders. I will be setting the weather settings to suit conditions and location and will make it as realistic as I can. I fly gliders in reality, my session is also lucky enough to have not only real world pilots and controllers, but also real world gliding instructors who will be taking the lead on these event nights.

You are more than welcome to join in these sessions.

David Bartlam,
FSX Worldwide

You need to Log on to post a reply.
Back to Board Index

Forum help

No politics, just flying
FSopen © 2009 - 2017
Page views: 2141334142