Click for Sun
Back to Board Index

NEW Airport... NEW ICAO...
Tim Walters
United Kingdom

22nd Sep 2013
21:14:37
Hi Dave,

TimW here from FSXEU. Bit of a techincal question here, but our server is looking to build a new airport for our Virtual Airline operations and I was wondering WHERE FlightStrips gets its ICAO codes (and ground maps) from.

I am concerned that any new airport we create will not be controllable as the ICAO cannot be selected in FlightStrips.

I'm guessing it's a database you created... Or is it the database on the server host?

Kind regards

Tim Walters
FSXEUrope Developer
David Bartlam
United Kingdom

22nd Sep 2013
21:38:32
Tim,

As an airport creator myself, There is more to it than just the ICAO. As I'm sure you are aware, if you are making changes to airport scenery or creating a brand new airport altogether; all of your members must have the scenery objects that you've used in your design and the airport installed in their addon scenery folder.

When I rolled out my training airport; a place where new pilots and controllers could come to hone their skills, it became a problem when new members etc didn't have the scenery, had troubles installing it or had all of there settings set differently. Stuff like texture and mesh settings etc differ for each user, and by designing an airport, you have to take these different setting into consideration.

It can be done but you have to have patience, for me, it became more of an inconvenience. If you manage to get a good system it place, it could work.

For customizable objects; signs, buildings etc, GMAX is one of the best programmes you can get, but, it's difficult to use.

Airport Design Editor is a good payware bit of kit I used for the airfield development.

Good luck!
Tim Walters
United Kingdom

22nd Sep 2013
21:44:26
Hi Dave

Thanks for the reply. I can do the airport - no problem - in fact, it's done... Getting the scenery on our users systems won't be a major issue as we are releasing a service pack with all kinds of goodies that most will want. +some hidden easter eggs ;o)

But....

This new airport has it's own ICAO code which Flightstrips does not recognise... Therefore, no-one can control at this airport while using FlightStrips.

So the question is: How can I get FlightStrips to accept the new ICAO?

Cheers

TimW.
Tim Walters
United Kingdom

22nd Sep 2013
21:46:34
PS. I used a combination of ADE and AFX... Not that it has any bearing on my ICAO problem. :o)
David Bartlam
United Kingdom

22nd Sep 2013
22:03:31
It definitely a Database issue which only Dave can answer. I suppose it depends how it's coded... I hope there's a solution for you and you're able to use the new airport!
Tim Walters
United Kingdom

23rd Sep 2013
08:00:13
Thank you Mr Bartlam sir...

Could Mr Wave definitively answer this? - Should you come across this post sir...

Basically, I want to know where FlightStrips gets its validation and ground map data from - and can it be edited?

Just wondering - am I'm going to have the same problem with PHPVMS not recognising the ICAO code too...

Am I being too ambitious here? :o/

TimW.
Dave Wave
United Kingdom

23rd Sep 2013
09:05:37
Tim, I get all the icaos from inside fsx, these are then cached in pilot assistant, flight strips, open server etc.

Similarly, the ground layouts are taken from the default fsx scenery, although this remains on the database.

It would be possible to do but would require perhaps 10 hours of my time and everybody would need to upgrade.

In short, it's not likely to happen. Sorry.

David Bartlam
United Kingdom

23rd Sep 2013
10:06:47
Tim,

A suggestion for you. Do not build an aircraft from scratch. As I'm sure you are well aware, using ADE you can use the default airport files to edit. Find a remote airfield somewhere which is in an area big enough for your desired airport. Edit the original file and save it.

Upload this then to your website for your users. This means they get the airfield that you've designed and you can select it from within flight strips etc. I don't know how this will affect the ground maps in flight strips but an easy way to overcome that issue is to get your members to download and install Flight Sim Commander. Unless they are looking to do radar/area controlling where you would require 30+nm range! the free version will be ample. Run the Database Manager and then the programme itself. So long as the members have completed the database step, the ground textures and mapping will be visible from that programme. Unfortunately for Dave's software, a good number of the ground textures in flight strips is now incorrect. Runway designators have changed (London City, Manchester etc), runways are now taxiways (Birmingham, Glasgow etc) because it uses the default data, which as I'm sure you're well aware, is not kept up to date unless you install add on scenery.

Hope this helps, it's the only way to overcome this issue, use a default airfield and build on it
David Bartlam
United Kingdom

23rd Sep 2013
10:07:35
Do not build an airport from scratch*
Tim Walters
United Kingdom

23rd Sep 2013
11:57:16
Hi David

I have done as you suggested and edited an existing airport... It's coming along nicely - hospital and all.. :o) I'm at EBOS - and there is great potential there for search and rescue operations and our VA. Just need to add the Oil Rigs and Wind Farm and some casualties carefully placed...

To Dave - I understand your reticence in updating FlightStrips... I cannot blame you sir. I can cope...

Thanks all for the prompt responses.

TimW
David Bartlam
United Kingdom

23rd Sep 2013
12:26:57
Just be careful with what you add. Too many objects in the same place affect the frame rates

Good luck with the project
Tim Walters
United Kingdom

23rd Sep 2013
14:12:30
Yep - the Airport, Oil Rigs and Wind Farm are seperated by about 50 miles - so it shouldn't be a problem. (I hope!)

Thanks

You need to Log on to post a reply.
Back to Board Index

Forum help

No politics, just flying
FSopen © 2009 - 2017
Page views: 651972919