Click for Sun
Back to Board Index

A New FSOpen Programme?
David Bartlam
United Kingdom

29th Sep 2013
10:42:42
Dave,

As we have spoken about on a previous thread; with Microsoft no longer bankrolling Jeppesen, it's already been noticed that the weather is no longer being replicated. My server doesn't replicate the weather very well anymore which is a bit annoying for those of us that are using FSX to enhance our real world training. With certain hardware that we have and weather engines that inject things like turbulence, thermals and wake turbulence; it can become tricky to land in airports where there is a good bit of wind/thermal activity. One way of getting over the problem is to use pre-defined weather, the problem with this is that it is permanent and wouldn't reflect the updated ATIS's.

How easy would it be to create a programme that would feed off the metars and inject the weather into the session on an individuals computer? Obviously Open clouds reflects the cloud coverage but to by knowledge, not the winds. So my idea would be to use a programme you design to inject the weather into the session and use Active Sky to enhance the feeling.

Just an idea :)
Dave Wave
United Kingdom

29th Sep 2013
13:26:56
Open clouds does do the winds etc.

Try it lol.
Curley Campbell
United States
29th Sep 2013
14:41:59
You can also customize the weather on your server within FSX.. to your liking.
David Bartlam
United Kingdom

29th Sep 2013
16:05:29
Dave,

What I meant with Open clouds, doesn't it just react to what is in the server? So if I set real world weather but it doesn't load, therefore weather isn't induced onto the server (Jeppesen), isn't that what everyone else would get unless they are running a weather engine?

Curley, Yea I understand that... Only thing with that is it is the same weather everywhere then. So If I set the server up at Heathrow and put some wind, clouds etc in as it's refelcted in the latest METAR, that weather would be reflected indentical at every airport, therefore the metar would be correct at Heathrow (For half hour until it changed) but not at any others. Get what I mean?

It's weird because I have just checked the server and the weather is real world and it's being replicated. It's odd how it sometimes works, sometimes don't.
Curley Campbell
United States
30th Sep 2013
00:22:06
Yep, I agree; and you are correct. I have had the same issue. I host w/real weather in FSX on the server side... sometimes it loads.. sometimes it doesn't. I use Open Clouds on the PC that I fly with.. and love it. I also have Rex HD.. but I prefer Open Clouds over that weather engine. (sorry Rex)
Dave Wave
United Kingdom

30th Sep 2013
08:20:50
David, Open clouds will get its own weather information, loading it will automatically change your weather to custom. If you have custom weather then this is passed to users joining your session.

If you select real weather, then users will get their own weather from Jeppesen regardless of if it loaded ok or not on your server.
David Bartlam
United Kingdom

30th Sep 2013
09:52:17
I understand :) thanks Dave

You need to Log on to post a reply.
Back to Board Index

Forum help

No politics, just flying
FSopen © 2009 - 2017
Page views: 1802489078