Click for Sun
Back to Board Index

Integration of Game Vox?
Chase Alexander
United States

20th Feb 2014
04:29:29
Dave,

Do you have any future plans in integrating Game Vox after the beta has passed, the same way Teamspeak 3 has been integrated?
Dave Wave
United Kingdom

20th Feb 2014
08:45:42
a) Does anybody use it for flight sim?
b) Is there a stable api?

Joe Clifford
United Kingdom

20th Feb 2014
18:02:09
Hello,

In my opinion, GameVox, as it stands, is never going to be able to compete with TeamSpeak.

They are currently the only people who can provide servers, and it would appear that they have no real plans to change that(that are documented at least). They say on their WebSite: "Due to the nature of GameVox we must host all servers ourselves, however we are considering some type of affiliate system." This, if you ask me, is probably just some marketing plan to make people think this is a possibility in the future, sign up and then decide they don't want to host their own but would rather pay them to do so. (Just a theory)

TeamSpeak, as most of you know, allow you to host your own server for free. You can have up to 32 slots without telling them and if you want more, 512 slots with a Non-Profit License. This, for me, is brilliant as I can pay for a VPS, host TeamSpeak on it as well as using it for a number of different reasons such as a development area. No need to pay multiple companies excessive fees to do something that I can do for a fraction of the price on just one machine.

Some would say that hosting a VoIP server themselves is a little dangerous as if you do something wrong your members can't get on. Yes whilst that is true, I prefer that ultimately, I am in full control of my server with no restrictions on what I can and can't do. To many TS3 hosts out there like to look all big and professional by limiting your access and making you do everything through some crappy designed control panel which just doesn't work anywhere as effectively as it should/could do and gives you the impression that you would never be able to host something like this yourself because it's just far to complex. This really isn't the case. GameVox doesn't allow you to customise much more than: the banner on the side of your server, server name, and whether members can do trivial things like kick fellow members.

I signed up to the beta and have a free server with them. Limited to 7 Users I think. If you have ever used 'Mumble' then you'll be able to get a ruff idea of what its like. Its basic, no where near the amount of customizable permissions that TS3 can offer.

No ability to add new server groups to help differentiate people within the server, no little icons next to names, no editable description per user (whilst they do offer a 'Comment' feature its just a waste of time). Little things like this that really useful are missing from GameVox and I can't understand why.

They advertise it on their website as having a "Simple Permission System" and make a point of showing that TS3 doesn't have this. Its probably a good thing that they don't. Whilst TS3s permissions system can be rather complex, this is only if the 'Advance Permission System' button is ticked. Otherwise there is a very simple permissions system for the general TS3 hosts to use, still far more customisable than GameVox.

Their website does not mention an API, nor does there appear to be any way of accessing the server via a server query user. Before I can even access my server I need to log in first, which makes me think that everyone else who wishes to join must also have an account with GameVox to access your server.

Doesn't look like this one will take off Dave. Not as it stands anyway.

Didn't really intend for this to be a short review, just sort of came out haha.

Kind Regards,

Joe
Chase Alexander
United States

21st Feb 2014
05:53:11
Thanks Joe for the research! I think it has a promising appeal for me at least, because I like to have everything managed for me when possible, and money isn't an issue to upgrade. Of course I respect Dave's time however and see to it that this may not be worth his time at least for now
Joe Clifford
United Kingdom

21st Feb 2014
10:35:59
Hi Chase,

I understand that this may be a useful tool for some to use. I'm glad you have found something that works for you. We're all different and have different requirements.

On the development front, I can't speak for Dave obviously, but if it was me, it's not a matter of it not being worth the time. As it stands, it's not physically possible to do. The company is basically in lockdown and there is no documentation on their site to suggest that they will ever be allowing the tools required to do it.

Hopefully they will change their mind.
Regards,
Joe
Robert Dunn
United States
21st Feb 2014
12:57:28
Greetings, Mr. Alexander and Mr. Wave. Hello, Joe. This "article" is very informative and of benefit to me and as such, is much appreciated. Joe, I realize that our communications ball is in my court and I haven't forgotten that I owe you a more detailed reply on our last round of correspondence. Forgive me. I value that interchange between us and also informative stuff like I read in this thread much more than my replies might indicate. It's been busy both at FLIGHTS.net and in real life. I'll catch up here soon. Warmest regards to you all.

Respects, Bob...

You need to Log on to post a reply.
Back to Board Index

Forum help

No politics, just flying
FSopen © 2009 - 2017
Page views: 2072908675